Gathering

New image made with Zbrush, Photoshop, Bodypaint and Maya/Mental Ray. This project started as an interest in trying out Dynamesh, an amazing new modeling methodology in Zbrush. I started with a sphere, which become the demon, and then decided to give him a place to exist. Learned a lot about rocks/plants/etc and now feel way more comfortable with the mia_materials.  Click here to go to the gallery and check it out. Hope people dig it… was a lot of fun to make!

9 Responses to “Gathering”

1. mjrLeeVox Says:
    February 16th, 2012 at 12:39 am

Alex, as always you create a complete piece. It’s great, it’s inspiring, it’s yours ;-) and (I wish) it’s heading into Gnomon library of ‘making ofs’ for us to enjoy your way of doing things in 3D ;-)

2. Majid Al Johani Says:
    February 16th, 2012 at 12:52 am

Alex, great job it’s been always inspiring!

3. Sanaullah Sanu Says:
    March 2nd, 2012 at 1:10 pm

……… always inspiring!
    All the best…….

-Sanu

4. Einar Says:
    March 5th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

This was awesome Alex! Did you create the fur with fibermesh? if so it would be cool to know how you managed the exporting and settup for maya.

If this would come out as a dvd. I would buy it =)

I’m very curious to know how the process from dynamesh to final, UV’d, textured and rendered scene went

-Einar

5. mdg3d Says:
    March 6th, 2012 at 5:05 am

Love the light! Really happy to see some new personal work thank you for posting.

6. Davi Augusto Silva Says:
    March 14th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hey Alex! i saw your Lecture at “The Union” about this artwork, and it was truly amazing!, and REALLY inspiring, i’ve never been to 3D, but now i’ll start studying it. So thanks!!! and keep making these AMAZING jobs!! so everyone can stay happy!! :D

7. Chris Says:
    March 28th, 2012 at 11:27 am

Another awesome personal exploration and explanation from the master. Your works never fail to amaze and fuel my desire to keep pushing my boundaries as a student. Long may you continue to share your inspiration and wealth of knowledge.

Just one question though regarding the DEM height maps from the USGS you were using for your terrain in ZBrush, do you still have an exact link to where the files can be obtained or / and would you ever consider possibly creating such elements for sale at Gnomon such as your leather textures?

Again thank you for this inspiring insight into your latest self-project and for above all making it free.

8. Alex Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 7:48 am

Hi Alex,
    I have recently visited the gnomonworkshop website to check and see if the new forest techniques videos had been released yet and while watching the sample clip for grass and plant instancing I saw you throwing plants and grass at this rock cliff here and my first reaction was “has he gone mad” because I think this is one of the best environment set piece I have seen.
    It reminded me a bit of “El laberinto del fauno ” stylewise and has a similar quality and realism as the environments in the “Halo Reach” game.
    I would love to see more in depth tutorials like that of the dynamic candle flame because they give you great looking results and they are versatile.
    All the best,
    Alex

9. JAMES DYKES Says:
    October 13th, 2012 at 1:39 am

Alex,
    Can’t find your email address, so I thought i’d start here.
    I have a request for you.
    I have been trying to refine my pipeline for building a golf course.
    I wasted too much time in VUE xStream and have decided to do it in Maya, 3Dcoat, Mudbox and Speed Tree.
    Your Grass techniques are second to none!
    Finally I have found a guru that can show me to do this with Physical Sun and Sky and Mia Materials using Instancing.
    I am very appreciative of your course on this topic.
    I bought Grass and Plant Instancing, and Gnomon Tree Creation, two of your 4 part course.
    In the Grass and Plant Instancing video, you use a SCRIPT called DIVIDIR,, which maps to grass objects, and creates 3×3 UV maps, if the polycount is the same for each object.
    Mate, I can’t find this script on the download.
    Neither in project files or anywhere else.

Would you be so kind to email me this script. I can’t complete your tutorials without it, and I can’t find it on any website.

Regards,

James Dykes – Sydney Australia.
    adv. Diploma – Animation, 3D & Special effects